Monday, April 19, 2010

Come to Jamaica Pretty Lady

Let me tell you a story about a trip I took a few years back to the beautiful island of Jamaica.  When I was in the cruise business, I often had clients ask which of the islands in the Caribbean are the most beautiful. Well, for me, they are the islands formed by volcanoes that created beautiful seasides but gorgeous mountains such as  St. Lucia, Martinique, and,yes, Jamaica.  They are mountainous, have beautiful rivers and, for the most part, lush greenery. In other words, they're more than a few feet above sea level. I had been to Jamaica many times with my then, and soon to be ex, husband so this was my first trip solo (newly d-i-v-o-r-c-ed). Read more...
I don't really remember where I stayed but I met up with some other girls and had a great time seeing the sites and in general, partying. But I noticed there was something different going on this time. Couldn't quite put my finger on it until this: I was walking along a beach and a Jamaican guy came up to me and said this", pretty lady, I will come up to your room for $25." Say what? Is he really asking me what I think he's really asking me? Yes. Yes he was. Then it hit me like a load of ganja. I had noticed many Western European and North American women, well, hanging with the local guys. The men were offering their "services" to the ladies for a price, of course. Not a bad gig. I don't think these guys looked upon themselves as prostitutes but more in the line of being in the, ah, hospitality industry. What made me remember this moment in time? My blog on my recollections of Bangkok. So, I looked up "sexual tourism to Jamaica" and found this at Wikipedia: "An estimated 650,000 Western women have engaged in travel sex since 1980, many of them multiple times. By some estimates, 80,000 North American and European women travel to Jamaica for sex every year." I guess Bob Marley said it best with: "Let's get together and feel all right." 

No comments:

Post a Comment