Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Sibling Rivalry: Three Sisters and Their Story...

In a couple of weeks from now my OLDER sister and I are embarking on our first major trip together. I guess you could say it's not our first journey together because just by virtue of being sisters, we've been on a life long trip. We also have a younger sister who is 6 years younger than me. My older sister and I don't really know a whole lot about her because when she was 8 or 9, we were 14 and 16 and could have cared less about her other than for her to stay out of our way. My older sister, I'll call "G". She is 16 months older than me. Our relationship, from the time we were born until our thirties, was a tumultuous one. Read more...
We fought like cats and dogs. She'd pull up my flower garden and I'd break her figurines. And as we got older, we vied for the same guys as boyfriends. Our school was very small, 30 or 40 to a freshman class, etc so there weren't that many guys to go around. We both married young and to our high school sweethearts. We both divorced said high school sweet hearts. And somewhere in there we had the biggest knock down drag out fight you can imagine. It was really bad. But I think something told both of us that if we didn't work this out, it would irrevocably destroy our sisterhood. I just remember calling her and saying we needed to talk and from that day forward, she has been my best friend. Now, as for my younger sister "B", well, she sort of grew up motherless except for the love of our paternal grandmother. Our mother had decided to go off to college. I congratulate her on her desire to be something in life and show us life as a modern woman. But that still left B to be pretty much on her own. B also married her high school sweetheart, had 2 beautiful daughters, divorced, and re-married and has a great son who is now a Marine. Over the years, B has found solace in her family life making up for the one she didn't have growing up and G and I found we really really like each other. Over the years, G has taken many long trips for vacations( she's single and prefers one long vacation.) G always asks me to go with her so she doesn't have to go by herself but I'm married to someone I love very much and have other obligations. But since this year is a very special birthday year for G, we're taking a 15 day trip to Borneo. Yes, indeedy, Borneo. It was her choice. It is her birthday after all. We've both greatly mellowed and understand more than ever how important family is. Sisterhood is indeed a life long journey and I am blessed to have two such wonderful sisters. I love you B and G. (Update...1/24/14...Since this posting, my older sister and I have traveled on a two week trip to Borneo and a 12 day trip to Tanzania.  Even though we live a half of a continent apart, we pick out concerts we want to go to and make arrangements to go.  My younger sister is still working and still very involved with her family. )

No comments:

Post a Comment